4 March 2013

Tjukke Slekta No. 2-3, 2012


I have several periodicals on my reading list these days. The same day I received the latest issue of Våpenbrevet, the newsletter of the Norwegian Heraldic Society, I also received Tjukke Slekta (No. 2-3, 2012), the newsletter of Sør-Østerdal Slektshistorielag (Sør-Østerdal Genealogical Society, which covers the municipalities Elverum,  Engerdal, Stor-Elvdal, Trysil og Åmot in the county of Hedmark).

I have been a member of the society for a few years now, and one of the main reasons for joining up was because my Hoelseth family comes from the former farm of Holset in Åmot. I also have ancestors from Elverum. As long as I have been a member, the newsletter has not touched on any of my ancestral families, but it still has many interesting articles on various families from Sør-Østerdal and on genealogy and research in general. The latest issue  has, for instance, two large articles on two different persons from Elverum but descending from Trysil with examples on how DNA testing can assist the research.

All but one of the articles focus on Trysil, hence the use of the top photo, which shows Trysil Church. I have no idea when the photo was taken, but it was found in the photo album inherited from my great-grandfather's elder sister Ingeborg Louise O. Hoelseth (1882-1963). I have - as far as I know - no ancestors from Trysil, but two of my great-great-grandfather's sisters, Marte Tollefsdatter Hoelseth (1852-1917) and Valdine Tollefsdatter Hoelseth (1866-1907) married and settled there and are buried at the cemetery next to the church.

I will bring photos from the cemetery later on.

Postscript 6 March 2013 at 00:05: It has been suggested at the Digital Archives' users' forum that the photo was taken just before 1900.

No comments:

Post a Comment